Contrast Baths Treatment Reduces Swelling and Pain
THIS TREATMENT MODALITY SERVES AS A ‘PUMPING MECHANISM’ TO REDUCE SWELLING AND PAIN.
Prior to beginning:
- Place two containers (large enough for the area of the foot to immerse) side by side.
- Fill the first with cold water to about 50 degrees.
- Add ice as needed to maintain temp.
- Fill the second with warm water to about 100 degrees.
- Place the foot or forefoot in the cold water pan for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove and place in the warm water pan for an equal 5-10 minutes.
- Continue to alternate warm to cold for a total of 20-30 minutes total time, with each immersion lasting 5-10 minutes.
- Always start and finish in the COLD bath.
- You can/should move the foot through a tolerable range of motion during the immersion. Writing the ABC’s with the forefoot or contracting and relaxing muscles.